The Alliance Française de Philadelphie offers group children's courses for various ages and levels on Saturdays.
Courses are organized by level and age group with students of all levels actively learning how to communicate in French and participate in creative projects designed to integrate their interests into the curriculum.
Younger children (5-6 years old) will participate in various activities such as crafts, stories, French songs, music, and will also learn to introduce themselves, and follow directions. The focus for the older groups (7-10 years old or 10-14 years old) is on conversation, while teaching students to read and write in French.
We offer four ten-week sessions of courses throughout the year (Fall, Winter, Spring, & Summer) and classes meet for one hour.
If your child has no experience in French, they will be in Beginner 1 with their appropriate age group. If your child has previous experience in French please contact us by e-mail or telephone to discuss level and scheduling options.
If you know your child's course level please download the registration form and return it to us by e-mail at email@example.com.
Courses for all levels and age groups are not offered each session.
2020 - 2021 SESSION DATES
Children's classes - $190 for 10 weeks
Private lessons - $250 for 5 hours (= $50/hr)
For those who need more convincing that French Classes for Children are a worthwhile investment
"Learning a second language at an early age...
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth.
- Enriches and enhances a child's mental development.
- Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves a child's understanding of his/her native language.
- Gives a child the ability to communicate with people s/he would otherwise not have the chance to know.
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps a child understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Gives a student a head start in language requirements for college.
- Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset."
Check out some more articles on the importance of learning a second language in childhood :
Tips for Adulthood: Five Facts about Bilingualism
L.A. Times article on the value of bilingualism