PIERRE C. FRALEY SCHOLARSHIP
The purpose of the Pierre C. Fraley Scholarship is to enable a third or fourth year college or university student of French or a newly graduated French teacher to attend an accredited summer program of study in order to obtain a level of proficiency in the spoken language that is not attainable in normal classroom work.
The Alliance Française scholarship committee will weigh need, merit and the quality of the applicant’s career plans when awarding the scholarship.
The scholarship consists of a monetary award of $2500 paid to the institution offering the program.
Eligibility and Requirements
To be eligible for the Pierre C. Fraley scholarship the applicant must meet the criteria listed below.
- The applicant must be a university student who will have completed the junior year before attending the summer program with a declared major in French, be taking a significant concentration of French with a declared major requiring fluency in foreign language, or be a French teacher with no more than 3 years teaching experience.
- The applicant must be applying to a summer program giving academic credit for a university level course of study.
- The program courses must be conducted in French.
- The program may be located in either the United States or in a Francophone country and is subject to the approval of the AF scholarship committee
- Preference will be given to residents of the tri-state area (PA-NJ-DE) or to out-of area students who are matriculated at a university in the tri-state area.
The committee will require an oral or written report of the recipient’s progress after completion of the program.
The applicant must submit via e-mail, unless otherwise noted:
- The application form and cover letter, format .doc, .docx or .pdf
- The applicant must submit a written essay, in French, 600 word maximum, describing their reason for applying, their career plans and how they intend to benefit from the program of study. Format: .doc, .docx, or .pdf
- The applicant must submit a 2-minute .wav or .mp3 file of their spoken French with a sample of extemporaneous speech and a reading of a brief prose passage.
- The applicant must submit a current official transcript of grades (by US mail from the Registrar's office)
- 2 university faculty letters of recommendation. At least one of these must be from the applicant's current teacher of French. Can be submitted by mail, or by e-mail. If e-mailed format .doc, .docx or .pdf, must be sent from professor's university e-mail address.
- The applicant must submit a copy of their application to a program of studies described above. Receipt of the award is contingent upon acceptance to such a program. Format .pdf
- The deadline for applications to be received by the AF is February 15.
- The scholarship committee will meet, evaluate applications, decide upon and notify the award winner by March 15.
The Alliance Française de Philadelphie wishes to thank the family and friends of former president, the late Pierre C. Fraley, for their generosity in establishing a scholarship program that will, in Mr. Fraley’s name, encourage, enable and promote the study of the French language and culture among deserving young people.